Monday, July 19, 2010

Frustrated

I am currently working on a short story about two sisters who hate each other and have magical powers. I don't know if it is any good, or if I will continue the story into a novel. At the moment, I quite like my two characters, so I'll see where it goes.
This is what I've been trying to do for the past few months - just play around with characters and settings, trying to find a voice, a story, a protagonist that interests me. So far I've come up with several short pieces, none of which are completed, and I am longing to write a novel again. It's like when you break up with a long term boyfriend - soon after the break-up, you don't want to go on dates again and get to know someone from scratch. You want that shared intimacy, the secrets, the safe comfort that comes with prolonged knowledge. At the minute I want to jump ahead to the novel part, in spite of not having a story, a plot, an idea even about what to write. Which is why I'm trying to write short pieces. Even though it's frustrating the crap out of me. Can't run before you can walk, as the adage goes.

1 comment:

Will Ellwood said...

I've said this before that I think you should workshop one or several of the short pieces.

That is the only way you'll know if it is any good and worth continuing.

The premise does to me sound interesting. Do you know why the sisters hate each other, and is this reflected in their magical powers?

I can't speak about novels. I like the aggressive and playful, although short lived, nature of flash fiction and the short story.

Will.