Monday, September 13, 2010

NaNoWriMo

I'm not sure what to do for NaNoWriMo this year. I still want to take part - I find it very useful as a motivational tool and also it's great for getting first drafts out of your head. It will be difficult what with rehearsals and work and all, but I'd like to give it a go. Perhaps I should write my "Matti and Eva" story - it's not coming along too well at the moment, as I'm still hammering out the logistics, so giving it the NaNoWriMo treatment might be good. I don't have anything else up my sleeve in any case.

If you haven't attempted NaNoWriMo (National Novel Writing Month) before, I would definitely recommend doing it. It teaches you about discipline - making yourself write those 1,667 words a day no matter what. It also teaches you to silence your inner critic, a trick that increases productivity and can be used afterwards when writing first drafts (you'll need that inner critic back again though for draft 2!). But most importantly, NaNoWriMo shows you that you can complete something, that it is possible to write a novel, and when you write those two magic words "the end" on 30th November, it's quite rightly accompanied by a humongous sense of achievement. For further info visit http://www.nanowrimo.org/

No comments: