Monday, November 05, 2007

NaNoWriMo: The Journey So Far

Well, at the time of typing this blog, my word count for NaNoWriMo is 7,412, which means I'm slightly ahead of my RDA of words for the weekend, but obviously behind on today's total (seeing as I haven't started writing for today yet). So far so good.
I've found that the hardest thing about doing NaNoWriMo this year is not the story - that's relatively simple at the minute (touch wood) - but actually making myself sit down at a computer for long enough to type something. I never fully realised how undisciplined I've become. On the first day, I would sit, write maybe fifty words, and then get up and get a drink, or have a snack, before coming back and writing another fifty words, and then doing a word count check and going to clean the bathroom, before coming back to write again maybe half an hour later. It was painful, and not because the story wouldn't come, but because I was too lazy and/or distracted to actually write it.
I'm getting better though. On Sunday I sat and typed in bed for about 30 minutes straight without getting up and doing something else. As the month goes on, perhaps a newly developed increased attention span will be added to my list of achievements, as well as a 50,000 word novel.

1 comment:

Robin Johnson said...

I've found I absolutely can't do it at a computer. Jotters in a pub, for the win.