Wednesday, November 12, 2008

The Lost Words

A few nights ago, my computer decided to have a bit of a spasm, and I lost the 400-odd words I had written. Not good when you're NaNoWriMo-ing, and every word counts! It was really annoying because I had to start again, but I couldn't remember exactly what I had written, and so had to write a poor man's version instead. And the sad fact is that now I'm convinced that my computer crashing has robbed the world of 400 words of literary gold, never to be accomplished again (oh it's great what memory can do for the ego!).
Lesson 1: save your work every two minutes, even if others start to think you have OCD. And for heavens sake, Back up!

A Dorcas Grubb update, though this probably won't mean anything to anyone, but Dorcas and Callum have just made their first journey in time together, back to 1485, to Leicester, to see Richard III at the Blue Boar Inn. Callum likes the idea of being a knight in shining armour, but Dorcas just thinks the place smells funny. The story is moving along, but I think that I've got too much stuff to include into one book. I think I may end up getting rid of one of their trips back in time. Also, I have no idea what medieval Leicester looked like, so if anyone knows, please contact me!

Bonfire night was a wash-out (literally), but thank you to Mekon and Hannah for coming over. Sorry I made you watch musicals til the early hours!

It was rememberance day yesterday, and I tried to get in a two minute silence before the phone rang again in my office. There's only a few people alive now who were actually involved in the First World War. I was watching the ceremony on the telly, and it just made me well up, to think that anyone had to be surrounded by all that horror and death, just because their government willed it.

No comments: